Thursday, January 30, 2014

My Year of Darwin (1/30/2014)

 Charles Darwin

"Whenever I enjoy anything I always either look forward to writing it down either in my log Book (which increases in bulk) or in a letter. -So you must excuse raptures & those raptures badly expressed" -Charles Darwin, letter to his father, 1 March 1832

Many of us that teach ecology or a related course ask our students to keep a field notebook or journal and I think this is a great exercise. It always helps writing to practice writing (why I have this blog) and our memories are always faulty. 

Writing reinforces memory and helps us organize thoughts systematically and helps us avoid pareidolia - seeing random patterns as being significant.

As somebody that writes poorly I appreciate Darwin's sentiment here and gives me some solace. Difference being that he was a well published author soon after returning from the Voyage. 
_____________

Two intro bio labs today and WEBS tonight. We're looking at owl pellets. Should be fun.  

No comments:

Post a Comment