Sunday, January 5, 2014

MY YEAR OF DARWIN (#YEAROFDARWIN)

 Charles Darwin

5 Jan 2014: ""In my simplicity I remember wondering why every gentleman did not become an ornithologist" Darwin autobiography

At 44 years old, I still wonder the same thing. Darwin was reading natural history books during his childhood and his interests were broadening to include insects, minerals, and birds. Darwin was spending time in the beautiful countryside of Wales. Being outside inspires - do it. I also spent my days wondering the woods near my home and the Pohatcong Creek was my playground. I do many programs with local schools and none of the schools take students out in the field - ever. I don't have any data on hand but I suspect there are fewer children headed into the woods both in absolute numbers and proportionally across the population. The result might be an increasing intellectual and emotional disconnect between us and nature (recently coined Nature Deficit Disorder). So hopefully, catching birds with WEBS (Women Empowered By Science) can address some of that in my little bubble.  

Just over 0 today and the bird feeders are draining quickly. Had a male Cooper's Hawk swing by the house and miss getting one of the 50-some House Sparrows. Working on a National Science Foundation proposal today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment