Monday, January 13, 2014

MY YEAR OF DARWIN (#YEAROFDARWIN)

 Charles Darwin

13 Jan 2014: "I have not as yet mentioned a circumstance which influenced my whole career more than any other. This was my friendship with Professor Henslow." Darwin autobiography

Darwin was not enjoying his studies. Most of his classes were boring and irrelevant. Then came along Professor Henslow and everything changed. Darwin met John Stevens Henslow Professor in 1828 when Darwin enrolled in his botany course. I mentioned before that Darwin loved Henslow's field trips. It's amazing that field trips and hand-on learning was considered progressive. No wonder Darwin was bored. 

It's only Jan 13. There will be much more on Henslow. 

Classes start today and I have Ecology and a very talented bunch of students. I'll have to up my game. In particular, I'd like to learn looping in R code so we can model population changes. Going to be a great semester, we have to coastal field trips scheduled. I'm ready for today's lecture but I need to write up more for the lab. Measuring a bunch of acorns and creating histograms, running simple statistics, and doing some simple statisticals 

No comments:

Post a Comment