Tuesday, February 11, 2014

My Year of Darwin (2/12/2014)

Happy Darwin Day! 

 Charles Darwin

"If we were lucky, by waiting a couple of hours, we obtained fowls, rice, and farinha." April 9,1832, Voyage of the Beagle

Darwin is describing his terrible experience at an in when we traveled inland from Rio de Janeiro. They keeper told them they could have anything they wanted but were told "No, sir" to every request. The next day they traveled to Campos Novos were they had an excellent meal and were treated graciously.

I could live on chicken, rice and farinha. I know this because I did. I came to enjoy some chicken stew with rice and farinha. 

What is farinha (far een ya)? It's the fibrous starch from mandioc root. There are two (at least) forms of farinha. A fluffier and light farinha that is usually more expensive and a more course yellow form that is much cheaper. Me, I prefer yellow farinha. My favorite meal in Brazil is fish stew PACKED with farinha. I also love bean soup with farinha and there's a brown palm liquid that's excellent with farinha. I love farinha! I miss farinha! I could think of no better way to celebrate Darwin Day than with some farinha sprinkled on something. Maybe next year. 

This photo is yellow farinha taken from http://belezadacaatinga.blogspot.com/2012_09_01_archive.html

No comments:

Post a Comment