Tuesday, April 1, 2014

My Year of Darwin 4/1//2014: The tyrant of the savanna

 Charles Darwin
"A bird with a forked tail, terminated by two long feathers (Tyrannus savana), and names by the Spaniards scissor-tail, is very common near Buenos Ayres" -Charles Darwin, Voyage of the Beagle

I believe that the name genus Tyrannus is names after this groups boldness. The tyrant flycatchers, which includes our local Eastern Kingbird, will chase avian predators several times it's size. I've seen Eastern Kingbirds take off and chase Red-tailed Hawks. 

I find this species interesting because it's an austral migrant: the leave southern South America and migrate towards the equator. The city of Manaus, in the middle of the rainforest, becomes filled with them. Interestingly enough, I fail to remember any in pastures - the closest habitat in the Amazon though would resemble the savanna

neotropical.birds.cornell.edu

No comments:

Post a Comment