Sunday, April 13, 2014

My Year of Darwin 4/13/2014: Darwin and the steamer

 Charles Darwin
"In these islands a great loggerheaded duck or goose (Anas brachyptera), which sometimes weighs twenty-two points, is very abundant. These birds were in former days called, from their extraordinary manner of paddling and splashing upon the water, racehorses; but now they are named, much more appropriately steamers. Their wings are too small and weak to allow of flight, but by their aid, partly swimming and partly flapping the surface of the water, they move very quickly." Charles Darwin, Voyage of the Beagle

This is not a species I was familiar with and I totally forget reading about it back when I read Voyage the first time. Careful reading is one of the reasons I'm enjoying having a blog, even if I have few readers (I appreciate every one!).  
______________________________
Setting up mist nets at Nescopeck State Park today with some students. The head of PA DCNR is coming and another VIP (yikes). Sending a draft of my book chapter to my coauthor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment