Monday, March 21, 2016

The week ahead

On my plate for the week

1. Start and finish student awards for Wilson Ornithological Society (8-10 hours)
2. Expand lectures on ANOVA and experimental design (16 hours)
3. Finish biostats lab so they have homework (8 hours) - no kidding
4. Meet with our kick-ass seminar speaker from Yale Public Health and go to seminar, dinner, breakfast (6 hours)
5. Get receipts to AUM
6. Work on AND FINISH the West Georgia paper (20 hours)
7. Work on grassland bird data (2 hours)
8. Teach (4 hours)
9. Enjoy break (ha ha ha ha) 

Friday, March 11, 2016

St. Marks National Wildlife Refuge

Visited a good friend in Tallahassee last night and couldn't resist visiting St. Marks National Wildlife Refuge. So glad I did. It was windy but it kept the no-see-ums down.

I didn't walk any of the wooded trails - just those that went along wetlands. The best thing about today was the fact that there were so few people and I had much of the refuge to myself (which helps when you drink a lot of coffee). 

My lesson: constantly check exposure. Lots of pics were overexposed but I'm figuring out Picasa's photoediting features. 

Black-bellied Plover

Brown Pelican

Blue-winged Teal

7` gator

Common Gallinule

Northern Mockingbird

Pied-billed Grebe
Tri-colored Heron

Wood Stork at a GA pond

Saturday, March 5, 2016

Blog post in MEE by one of my ecology heros

I think I'm OK with statistics. I can probably do 90% of statistics seen in most ecology journals. I'm not a statistician or a mathematician and I am hugely jealous of those that can do the remaining 10% that I don't understand and are able to write math/stat papers. 

Some in this field are giants: Robert MacArthur, Simon Levin, Marc Kery, Andy Royle (and all those guys from Patuxent). When it comes to estimating species richness there are two names: Robert Colwell and Anne Chao. 

Dr. Chao has a blog post here that is marvelous. The take-away: estimates of diversity are directly descended from Alan Turing. Great stuff.