Sunday, April 17, 2016

Tacaca

The other day I continued kicking myself in the pants for having spent two years in the Amazon and so few pictures to show for it. So I've been replaying in my head, all the wonderful things about the norte (in Brazilian portuguese pronounced nortch). 

I really enjoyed rice and beans of camp life- something that was easily available in Louisiana, where I lived for 7 years. On the street, there were two things I loved: super sweet manioc cake and tacaca. There's a great picture here. It has tucupi (liquid extract from manioc), some plant, and shrimp. According to the link, the plants are jambu (fruit), and chicoria leaves. It is always served in these double black bowls.

The effect is amazing. Your lips swell and become numb, your throat burns on fire, and it is  heaven. Salty, sweet, savory, and spice all at once. 

No comments:

Post a Comment