Friday, August 26, 2016

Mushrooms of Wilkes University

Teaching ecology this semester so my mind is a bit broadened and, after a few large summer rains, I was reminded about the great recyclers: fungi.

It is move-in day at Wilkes University so I probably looked like a creep walking around campus with my camera but most of our buildings are surrounded by mulch - tons of mulch - and fungi are busy breaking it down into soil.

Hard to say how many species are on campus since we can only see the fruiting bodies. Most fungi live quietly underground doing their thing. I counted at least six different species so there are probably many many more species than this on campus. 

I have no idea what species they are except for the infamous Mutinus caninus, a species whose spores are dispersed by flies (see photo). 











No comments:

Post a Comment