Saturday, January 25, 2014

MY YEAR OF DARWIN


 Charles Darwin

25 Jan 2014: "the misery I endured from sea-sickness is far far beyond what I ever guessed at" -Charles Darwin, letter to his father, 1 March 1832

Darwin is barely out of the English Channel when sea sickness sets upon him after a storm at sea. He is completely miserable and stays in his hammock. The only food he can keep down are raisins his father has sent him. It has only been a few weeks and he founds himself miserable at sea - this is a man who spends another four years and ten months at sea. He notes that he's often to sick to leave his cabin to observe islands they pass. 

I love being on boats and rough seas don't bother me much. I did however, get sea sick once when I sat on the deck to fix a knot in a fishing reel while in the Florida Keys. I could no longer see the horizon and this did not end well. Enuff said. 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment