Thursday, April 24, 2014

My Year of Darwin 4/24/2014: To kill a guanaco

 Charles Darwin

"It is asserted that the puma always kills its prey by springing on the shoulders, and then drawing back the head with one of its paws, until the vertebrae break: I have seen in Patagonia the skeletons of guanacos, with their necks thus dislocated." Charles Darwin, Voyage of the Beagle

I have never heard this and I doubt this is the case across their range but I don't doubt that pumas specialize in their attack in different regions or with certain animals. Darwin also tells of cases of humans being killed and I know of recent cases. Scary stuff.

Pumas may have survived the mass extinction that killed off many other North American mammals by being generalists. See video here
________________________________________________________
Totally beat. Had lab 8-11, award ceremony 11-1, lab 2-5 and I still need to write a lecture for tomorrow. 

Still need to write an ecology lecture. 

Won the Faculty Choice Award today at Wilkes. Not sure what that means but it was nice to be recognized although I know many others that do much more for students.


No comments:

Post a Comment