Wednesday, June 18, 2014

My Year of Darwin 6/18/2014: Geologic change: resistance is futile

 Charles Darwin


"Where on the face of the earth can we find a spot on which close investigation will not discover signs of that endless cycle of change, to which this earth has been, is, and will be subjected?" Charles Darwin, Voyage of the Beagle

I do hate the heat. But I love the tropics. Go figure. I love thinking about what it would be like to be in Wilkes-Barre 18,000 years ago at the edge of the ice sheet. Aaah. Must have been cool. Then is was, if my understanding is correct, extensive savannas after the the ice sheets retreated, then forests invaded. But the forests have changed, and changed quick. This is just a small fraction of the change that northeast Pennsylvania has been under deep oceans (I drive down HWY 81 will demonstrate this) and higher than the Andes. These types of changes have occurred all over the planet - every square centimeter has a four and a half billion year history. 

This is my second favorite science music video!


No comments:

Post a Comment