Saturday, June 21, 2014

My Year of Darwin 6/21/2014: E ai Darwin? Chuck dissed in Brazil

 Charles Darwin


"I must here commemorate what happened for the first time during our nearly five years' wandering, namely, having met with a want of politeness; I was refused in a sullen manner at two different houses, and obtained with difficulty from a third, permission to pass through their gardens to an uncultivated hill, for the purpose of viewing the country. I feel glad that this happened in the land of the Brazilians, for I bear them no good will - a land of slavery, and therefore of more debasement." Charles Darwin, Voyage of the Beagle

Ouch! Yet I found nothing of the sort when I was there. Unnecessary bureaucratic? My God yes. Rude? Never. Perhaps England had just eliminated Brazil from the World Cup???  Highly unlikely (even if there was a World Cup at the time). 

No comments:

Post a Comment