Saturday, July 19, 2014

My Year of Darwin: 7/19/2014

 Charles Darwin


"Heaven forfend me from Lamarck nonsense of a "tendency to progression" "adaptations from the slow willing of animals" &c- but the conclusion I am led to are not widely different from his - though the means of change are wholly so - I think I have found out (here's presumption) the simple way by which species become exquisitely adapted to various ends" Charles Darwin, letter to J.D. Hooker, 11 January 1844


So both Darwin and Lamarck believed in descent with modification (evolution) but the mechanisms to adapt are completely different. The hinting towards the answer but not providing it, must have driven Hooker mad.

So I'm caught up with posts. Whew. Done with the college tour. I learned a ton of other schools and came up with some ideas for Wilkes. Now.. just to remember what they were. 

No comments:

Post a Comment