Monday, July 21, 2014

My Year of Darwin: 7/21/2014 Malthus: A key piece to natural selection

 Charles Darwin


"In October 1838, that is, fifteen months after I had begun my systematic enquiry, I happened to read for amusement 'Malthus on Population,' and being well prepared to appreciate the struggle for existence which everywhere goes on from long-continued observation of the habits of animals and plants, it at once struck me that under these circumstances favourable variations would tend to be preserved, and unfavorable one to be destroyed. The result of this would be the formation of new species" Charles Darwin, Autobiography


Here's natural selection in an (incomplete) nutshell. Variation exists and some of these variations make it more likely for those individuals to live and reproduce. 


No comments:

Post a Comment