Sunday, July 27, 2014

My Year of Darwin: 7/27/2014 Darwin's "oh crap" moment


 Charles Darwin


"Early in 1856 Lyell advised me to write out my views pretty fully, and I began at once to do so on a scale three or four times as extensive as that which was afterwards followed in my 'Origin of Species;' yet it was only an abstract of the materials which I had collected, and I got through about half the work on this scale. But my plans were overthrown, for early in the summer of 1858 Mr. Wallace, who was then in the Malay archipelago, sent me an essay "On the Tendency of Varieties to depart indefinitely from the Original Type;" and this essay contained exactly the same theory as mine" Charles Darwin, Autobiography

Yes, yes, yes - this is where Darwin gets scooped. I think most people in the world know this story. This is a small thing but I never new "pretty" was used then as it is pretty much now (see what I did there?). 


No comments:

Post a Comment