Sunday, May 31, 2020

Field Season 2020 Week I


Kicked off the field season with bird surveys 


Tuesday (5/26/2020)


  • SGL40 - site near Francis Walter Dam, Turned 51
  • Burn sites and reference sites
  • Least flycatchers were back - must have social breeding. Breeding site in the burned area - I suspect they don't care as long as the mid-story and canopy are intact. Lots of Veery in the unburned site. 

Wednesday (5/27/2020) 

  • SGL292 - site near Laurel Run, PA
  • found sites that were burned last year I didn't get to. Lots of hiking. There is a creek on a north facing slope that has huge hemlocks and very awe inspiring. 

Thursday (5/28/2020)

  • Took the day off for personal reasons 

Friday (5/29/2020)

  • SGL207 part 1 - site near Mountain Top, PA
  • I assumed this site was smaller but after looking at maps this site is huge but today I just surveyed sites I did last year including sites that were burned in 2018 and reference sites. Heard one wood thrush pair although there were at least 5 pairs last year 

Saturday (5/30/2020)


  • SGL207 -  surveyed six points - 3 points that were burned 
  • Walking to new sites heard a few Wood Thrush I didn't hear the day before. 
  • Probably the second hardest day in the field in three years. The new sites were at least a km from the car and then several hundred meters apart. The slopes were steep and undulating. I wonder if there was copper mining at this in the past (at least 100 years ago). Huge granite boulders and slabs created lots of smaller cliff faces and caves. Shocked I didn't see bears or a rattlesnake. Did find a small patch of pink lady's slipper. The big problem of the day were the gnats. 

Sunday (5/31/2020) 


  • SGL13 - surveys 4 points that will be burned this year (at least scheduled to). Super dense blueberry bushes and swamp. Also, a branch swung up my nose and I gushed blood for a few minutes. Did see a huge (maybe 400 pounds) bear cross the road and head to where I surveying. Awesome. 


No comments:

Post a Comment