Monday, June 29, 2020

Field Season 2020 Week V

6/22/2020 Monday - SGL38
Finding my way around SGL38 and Bethlehem Water Authority I noticed non-burned areas that there cut so I decided to throw these in. I may not be able to find enough to say anything but they are a forest management strategy. A shelterwood cut is a clear cut with a few scattered trees left. At this site in Long Pond, they left oaks and pitch pine. These sites are great for Field Sparrow and Eastern Bluebird. The trees still had Black-and-White Warbler and Red-eyed Vireos. As this site becomes for shrubby, it might host Golden-winged Warblers, Blue Grosbeaks, and Yellow-breasted Chats. What I have noticed about PA's management strategy on game lands is that the scales are very large - hundreds of acres get the same treatment. But many birds will use various habitat types within their territory. Wood Thrush, for example, nest in small patches of an old opening that is filled with dense vegetation and they'll forage in areas with a closed canopy and open understory.  



6/23/2020 Tuesday - Cameras on Jacob's Property/Audiomoth

Finally figured out why I wasn't getting any sound on my Audiomoth - I needed to update by firmware. Ugh.  These units are getting a lot of buzz but I haven't been able to find any publications on their use with birds. They're a fraction of the cost of other ARUs. 

6/24 - 6/28  Rain or meetings 
Some data entry. Had a "low level" manuscript rejected (as expected actually). 


No comments:

Post a Comment