Monday, February 3, 2014

My Year of Darwin (2/3/2014)

 Charles Darwin

"The day has past delightfully. Delight itself, however, is a weak term to express the feeling of a naturalist who, for the first time, has wandered by himself in a Brazilian forest" -Charles Darwin, Voyage of the Beagle 

I walked at graduation in 1991 but officially graduated in 1992 after finally taking Calc II at a community college. At the advisement of Rutgers post doc George Robinson (now at SUNY Albany), I applied for an internship with the Smithsonian field station in Manaus. Much to my astonishment I was accepted and off I went to the Amazon. The first day in the forest was overwhelming. Not a tree, bird, bug - not an organism to be recognized. It was amazing. Tropical forests are now where I feel the most at home. 
Tree fall gap in the continuous forest plot of the BDFFP. This photo was taken ~ 1994

No comments:

Post a Comment