Thursday, March 6, 2014

My Year of Darwin 3/6/2014:To catch a Darwin

 Charles Darwin

"One day, as I was amusing myself by galloping and whirling the balls round my head, by accident the free one struck a bush, and its revolving motion being thus destroyed, it immediately fell to the ground, and, like magic caught one hind leg of my horse; the other ball then jerked out of my hand, and the horse fairly secured. Luckily he was practiced animal, and knew what it meant; otherwise he would probably have kicked till he had thrown himself down. The Gauchos roared with laughter' they cried out that they had seen every sort of animal caught, but had never before seen a man caught by himself." Charles Darwin, Voyage of the Beagle

There are many things to admire about Darwin and one of them is the ability of him to laugh at himself. I have to give him credit for trying. Us gringos never seem to be very good with these things. I have the scars that show my inability to handle a machete. 

The picture below isn't Darwin, but it does show how bolas were used on a horse. 

File:Bola (PSF).jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Bola_(PSF).jpg


No comments:

Post a Comment