Sunday, August 31, 2014

My Year of Darwin 8/31/2014: Darwin's science for science's sake

 Charles Darwin


"For myself I would, however, take higher ground, for I believe there exists, & I feel within me, an instinct for truth, or knowledge or discovery, of something same nature as the instinct of virtue, & that our having such an instinct is reason enough for scientific researchers without any practical results ever ensuing from them."  Charles Darwin,letter to J. S. Henslow, September 1848

Henslow is one of Darwin's mentors from his undergraduate days (see, we matter). And I get this. Science for curiosity's sake. Twice in our convocation the administration practical knowledge gained by our faculty as is science for science's sake was disdainful. That wasn't uplifting.  More internal grants available - that was. 

No comments:

Post a Comment