Wednesday, November 26, 2014

My Year of Darwin 11/26/2014 Once you get the dough... you can make lots of different things

 Charles Darwin

"I must premise, that I have nothing to do with the origin of the primary mental powers, any more than I have with that of life itself. We are concerned only with the diversities of instinct and of the other mental qualities of animals within the same class." 
Charles Darwin, Origin of Species 1st edition (on Kindle)

This is from the beginning of the "Instincts" chapter. I think Darwin addresses the evolution of complex organs (or any trait really), in the previous chapter "Difficulties with the theory."  But this is a nice example of how natural selection applies to create diversity as well as modifying structures. 
The Amazon endemic, Haematoderus militaris. I once communicated with this species by exchanging "BOCK" calls. I highlight of my life - for better or worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment