Saturday, October 11, 2014

My Year of Darwin 10/10/2014:What? Plants do that?

 Charles Darwin

"When the stamens of a flower suddenly spring forward to the pistil, or slowly move one after the other towards it, the contrivance seems adapted solely to ensure self-fertilisation; and no doubt useful for this end: but, the agency of insects is often required to cause the stamens to spring forward, as Kolreuter has shown to be the case with the barberry" Charles Darwin, Origin of Species 1st edition (on Kindle)

When I read stats papers, I feel dumb; but I expected to. When I read about statmens moving around or even springing I feel ignorant. And I've read the Origins before but this never resonated on those readings. I took Botany (sophomore at Rugters) and Plant Ecology (senior at Rutgers). So I missed something and I know there are a few books out there about the secret life of plants. Sigh. Add them to the pile. 

Catching up. On a mini-vacation to Cape May. Did Brigantine yesterday and downtown Cape May. Today it's pouring so some work and going to see Gone Girl. 

No comments:

Post a Comment