Wednesday, December 10, 2014

My Year of Darwin 12/10/2014: The geological record: like trying to write in a bouncy castle filled with kids

 Charles Darwin

"Thus the geological record will almost necessarily be rendered intermittent. I feel much confidence in the truth of these views"  Charles Darwin, Origin of Species 1st edition (on Kindle)

I remember reading this section from "On the Imperfection of the Geological Record" in 1989 when I took a course at Rutgers called "Darwin and Darwinisms" with Dr. Barbara Goff. I consider his description of the geological record to be the clearest picture of any phenomenon in Origins. And yes, I have a terrible title for today's entry but I'm thinking of rare fossils must be given the conditions it takes to preserve them. 
Winter in Virginia while visiting the College of William & Mary



No comments:

Post a Comment