Thursday, December 4, 2014

My Year of Darwin 12/4/2014: Where dem fossils Darwin?

 Charles Darwin

"Why then is not every geological formation and every stratum full of such intermediate links? Geology assuredly does not reveal any such finely graduated organic chain; and this, perhaps is the most obvious and gravest objection which can be urged against my theory. The explanation lies, as I believe, in the extreme imperfection of the geological record."  Charles Darwin, Origin of Species 1st edition (on Kindle)

I often see this quote in the creationist/evolution debates but usually with very little detail - and Darwin, to his credit, provides that detail, which stands to this day. I won't outline it here. What dawned on me early in my career and thinking about evolution is that I never personally have come across the most animals in circumstances that favor fossilization. There must have been hundreds of thousands of deer in any area in the northeast US since the glaciers have receded yet I have never personally come across any deer bones in the mud. Have I been in the mud? Growing up I spend nearly every day digging up worms for fishing, wading through streams, etc. Yes, I recognize that personal experience is the worst form of science but it is telling to me, of the rarity of the conditions. I'm more surprised that we have so many fossils. It truly is amazing that we have a record and the brains to process that very fact.  Life is wonderful. 


No comments:

Post a Comment