Monday, December 8, 2014

My Year of Darwin 12/8/2014: On Time

 Charles Darwin

"A man must for years examine for himself great piles of superimposed strata, and watch the sea at work grinding down old rocks and making fresh sediment, before he can hope to comprehend anything of the lapse of time, the monuments of which we see around us"  Charles Darwin, Origin of Species 1st edition (on Kindle)

I took Geology my sophomore or junior year and we had a few field trips and the most interesting feature I saw that time was a slate quarry. This is a rock that was another rock (or rocks) that was eroded into sediment and then mashed by tectonic forces. Awesome. The hole created by the quarry was hundreds of feet thick with largely smooth sides. Though it was very real it had a very science-fiction movie feel about it. Just an amazing about of time involved to produce this feature. 

Yesterday, I wrote about the feeling one gets when thinking about the connections between you and me and chimps and grasshoppers and fungi and mosses. Today I'm thinking about the immensity of time that the Earth has persisted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment